This is my space on the web
Hi! I’m Ryan. I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Santa Cruz Institute for Particle Physics (SCIPP), working with the ATLAS experiment at CERN.
Previously as a graduate student at Penn, also with ATLAS, I helped commission the Transition Radiation Tracker (TRT), a sub-detector of the ATLAS tracker, during the start-up of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in 2009-2012. In July of 2012, the ATLAS and CMS experiments both announced discovering a new particle consistent with the long-sought-after Higgs boson, a key to explaining electroweak symmetry breaking in the Standard Model of particle physics.
My research has primarily focused on supporting and optimizing the reconstruction of hadronic tau decays, and searching for exotic new physics in ditau and diphoton events, including for signs of Grand Unified Theories and Supersymmetry. Many theories of physics beyond the Standard Model have revolutionary implications for the concepts of symmetry and space-time, and for our understanding of the early universe.
- Data mining and visualization
- Machine learning
- Measuring properties of the Higgs boson
- Searches for new physics
- Hadronic tau reconstruction and identification
- Statistical inference
- Philosophy of science and science communication
I am involved in:
- Searching for evidence of supersymmetry in diphoton events
- Tau lepton physics
- Observation and cross section measurement of SM Z→ττ
- Searching for exotic Z’→ττ events
- Member of the ATLAS Physics Office - helping manage paper submissions to journals and reviewing talks/posters
My graduate research was on the reconstruction and identification of hadronic tau decays, measuring the SM Z→ττ production cross section in proton-proton collisions at √s = 7 TeV, and searching for new physics in high-mass ditau events. You can download my thesis here.
- skype: ryan.reece
- cell: +41-75-411-7675 (Switzerland), +1-817-888-7010 (US)
Ryan Reece (Nat.Sci.2 #317)
Santa Cruz Institute for Particle Physics
University of California
1156 High St.
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
c/o Alex Tuna
Avenue Wendt 36
1203 Geneva, Switzerland
My web presence elsewhere
- philosophy-in-figures.tumblr.com – my micro-blog on philosophy using only figures
- statisticalsignificance.net – my blog (still trying to get this going)
- academia.edu/RReece – my academia.edu profile (get my papers here)
- philpapers.org – my philpapers profile
- @RyanDavidReece – my twitter profile
- +RyanReece – my google+ profile
- rreece.github.io – pages about my projects on github
- about.me/ryan.reece – my about.me profile